Shredded veal salad with radishes, tomatoes, spinach and yogurt-mustard dressing
I have a confession to make: there are some ingredients I just don’t know how to cook. This
is was the case of – radishes. I used to eat radishes in salads, and sometimes as crudités pairing dips, but I never really understood its usage in the kitchen – or even how to make the most of it.
While scrolling down tweets from Food52 – a truly amazing food site- I discovered a simple, delicious recipe with grilled chicken, radishes pickles and greens from Caroline Wright, who creates recipes for Food52.
Pickled radishes, which have a peppery taste, are an excellent topping for sandwiches and salads. They give that contrasting consistence with its crisp texture, as well as that sweet and sour edge that I love in some dishes.
The following recipe is an inspiration of the above-mentioned recipe (that you have to absolutely try!). Since the following preparation in Italy is called insalata di bollito (bollito is a combination of different boiled meats that is very common in Northen Italy), I used shredded boiled veal (bollito di vitella), which combined with some sweet datterini tomatoes and the peppery taste of piclked radishes gives the salad the balance and freshness I was looking for.
Because of boiling and shredding processes involved in the preparation, this recipe is time consuming – but in the end it was worthwhile. For this salad, the dressing I used is Greek whole yogurt with mustard, a choice I like because it gives that creaminess and tanginess without having to use heavy mayonnaise and vinegar (which sometimes if over-used, it overpowers the taste of other ingredients).
Insalata di bollito di vitella
- 600 grams of trimmed boneless veal stew meat (if you can’t find veal, chicken is also a good option)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large or two small carrots
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 10-20 pickled radishes
- 10-13 small plum or cherry tomatoes
- 1 – 1 ½ cups of baby spinach
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
To pickle radishes go to this link
- In a boiling pot add veal stew meat and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Add bay leaves, carrots, onion, garlic cloves and cover it with water. Bring to a boil for about 1 hour or until cooked. When cooked, set aside and let it cool. You can reserve the broth for any other preparation such as risotto or soup.
- Meanwhile cut radishes into wedges and tomatoes into fine wedges, discarding theirs seeds.
- When the veal has cooled off, begin shredding it with the hands.
- In a bowl, toss shredded veal, tomatoes, pickled radishes, Greek yogurt and mustard. Combine.
- Arrange baby spinach on the bottom or just toss baby spinach with the salad
- Serve it with some grilled country bread.
Suggestion: try to combine fresh ingredients just right before serving, otherwise you will end up with a soggy salad)
An alternate plating with grilled country bread